What is Content Marketing?
In a world where people search the Internet to find what they want to purchase, content is key. If your website includes your product information as well as helpful, relevant video, audio, infographics, and blog posts, you will receive a far larger share of the web traffic than a page with only a quick product description. Content Marketing is a strategic approach that involves creating, publishing, and distributing interesting and helpful content as a way to draw people in and increase brand recognition. As a result, profitable activity for your company’s website grows.
What is Email Marketing?
Before email, it was never free to send messages directly to a targeted group of potential customers. Email offers unprecedented opportunities for gathering interest from potential leads and sending them relevant and intriguing emails to turn them from prospects into customers. E-newsletters and other mailing lists can run campaigns that are tailored to the buying habits of a particular customer. In this way, brands turn one-time customers into loyal repeat business. While email marketing is a strategy in its own right, it works best with a robust content marketing strategy. Email marketing does poorly if it is purely repetitive requests for new purchases. By using the emails to draw people to your useful content offers, you get people to click on the emails and move through your website again. Email is just another outlet for promoting your content and growing your brand’s trustworthy reputation.
Similarities Between Content Marketing and Email Marketing
- Both of these strategies require long-term thinking: every individual email or piece of content should interconnect with your overall goals and vision, increasing the potential impact.
- The goals are to boost your brand’s image, profile, and reputation, building relationships with customers. When customers click through your emails, remain on your e-newsletter list, share your content on social media, or engage with the comments section on your blog, they are demonstrating their connection to your brand.
- Fundamentally, the organic sharing of information between your customers and their networks is what makes this marketing strategy so powerful: we trust our friends to give us good recommendations. Great content and email marketing strategies will prompt customers to spread the word for you.
How to Use Your Content in Email Marketing
- Make sure you plan on every email containing something that isn’t overtly “sales-y” – a link to a how-to video, a round-up of useful information about your industry, or even a poll that asks for your customer’s opinion. The email should offer them the chance to engage with the brand without immediately being prompted to purchase.
- Remember that communication is a two-way street: you want your emails to be a chance for your past customers or prospects to re-engage with your brand, possibly offering feedback that can help you wow them for the next purchase.
- Regular communication but not too much communication is key: plan email campaigns that time messages carefully, but recognize that you don’t want to disappear entirely. Often, your customers can toggle which emails they wish to receive – new product updates, weekly newsletter, etc. – and that can guide you to make sure they get as much information from you as possible.
- Segmenting your audience can allow you to send emails that specifically target groups of customers – if they’ve purchased within one of your two main brand categories, automate emails that send them relevant content about that topic. You can also work with their buyer behavior: if they are particularly responsive to coupons, get them on a list of coupon-lovers and send those out.
- Make sure that your content fulfills the needs of the customer in a personal and relevant way; customers want to feel well known and understood.
Get Started With Email Marketing
You don’t have to send a million individual emails to begin a content-driven email marketing strategy. Instead, software like MailChimp and Constant Contact make the work easy and help you segment and personalize campaigns for your customers. Start a free trial today!